As businesses move rapidly today, the need for scalable solutions is increasing. More and more companies are now looking for solutions that can be scaled as and when required as per the business needs.
Cloud technologies are witnessing higher demands due to the search for scalable solutions. Most businesses rely on external cloud service providers.
While moving your business from local servers to the cloud. It is essential to get familiar with the basic structure and types of cloud services.
Here we will talk about three essential services provided by most cloud providers such as Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service(PaaS), and Infrastructure as a Service(IaaS).
Software as a Service
Software as a Service is the favorite cloud service used by businesses. Most startups that are looking to speed up the running versions of their project rely on SaaS Application development companies.
The cloud provider uses the internet and other technologies to provide software to consumers or businesses in the SaaS model.
One of the significant advantages of SaaS applications is that they do not need to be installed as separate software. They can work directly on a browser. This makes it easier to manage and update the running software. Also, software that runs in the browser eliminates the need for special hardware too.
When Should You Use the SaaS model?
Here are some use cases when you should consider using SaaS.
- If you’re a small business that can’t afford to buy the software.
- If you require software that can be used easily and quickly.
- If you want to cut down on IT operation costs, using the SaaS model is a good option.
- If you want to have software available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week but don’t want to maintain it yourself.
Advantage of Using SaaS model
- The suppliers are obliged to make the program available 24/7.
- It is easier to manage.
- Cost-effective for startups.
- Service providers can be changed if different services are required; this is easier in the SaaS model.
To have a better understanding of SaaS, let’s look at some of its examples.
- Google workspace
- Microsoft Office 365
- Cisco WebEx
Platform as a Service
Platform as a service refers to the provisioning of hardware and software for use by businesses and other customers. The PaaS approach is widely accepted as a means to provide a platform for software development to developers.
Using the hardware and software services from the vendor, consumers can quickly build, deploy and maintain their software structures in the cloud.
PaaS service suppliers offer extensive assistance that helps programmers focus on building quality products without stressing over the hidden issues. Most software developing organizations that utilize PaaS services don’t need to stress over the Operating system, networking and its structure, and different things that play fundamental roles in the product’s functioning.
With PaaS, developing software becomes very easy as the software is stored in the cloud and delivered via the web, eliminating OS and other fallbacks that arise in traditional software development and delivery.
When Should You Use the PaaS model?
If you are unclear about when to use the PaaS model in your business, here are some use cases.
- If you want to reduce development costs.
- If you don’t want to invest in personal hardware for servers.
- If you want to enable a smooth development process and relieve developers working on the project.
- If you’re going to ensure continuous availability of the developed software.
Advantages of PaaS
- Business tasks are easier to automate
- It’s quite scalable
- Throughout the year availability
- Software deployment and maintenance are simplified
- Local server and hardware requirements are reduced
Here are some of the leading PaaS service providers
- Microsoft Azure – leading cloud PaaS service provider
- Google Compute Engine – forerunner for AI and machine learning software
- AWS Beanstalk
- Heroku – platform to host web applications
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
IaaS service providers are charged with the duty to provide infrastructure to their clients, as their name implies. The IaaS concept aids enterprises in overcoming the challenges of establishing on-site infrastructure and other critical services.
IaaS providers provide networking, storage, and other server services that are important for a business to run its software and other operations.
The main benefit of the IaaS model is the reduced costs. IaaS services can be scaled as per business needs, and you’ll only have to pay for the amount used. Also, procuring such infrastructure through the IaaS model is relatively easier than setting up an onsite infrastructure setup.
When to Use the IaaS model?
IaaS is the ultimate choice for every business due to its pay-as-you-go model. In this model, you only have to pay for whatever you use.
If you need continuous support for your infrastructure, you should proceed with IaaS. Most service providers provide round-the-clock support to their clients regarding all infrastructure needs.
Advantages of IaaS
- Highly scalable infrastructure
- Flexible infrastructure that can be changed as per requirements
- Easier accessibility for all
- Reduction in operation costs
Here Are Some Examples of IaaS Service Providers
- Digital ocean – emerging IaaS provider with disruptive technologies
- Google Cloud – best pay-as-you-go IaaS Provider
- Amazon Web Services -a one-stop shop for all infrastructure needs.
- IBM Cloud – a legacy IaaS service Provider
Understanding the required services is the first step in making your organization ready for the cloud transformation. Above, we discussed the three most demanded services offered by providers to all the clients. While choosing a service, you need to evaluate your business requirements, and only then should you proceed.
If your business does extensive software development, you must subscribe to PaaS services. While if you are a business that provides software and other stuff on sale to clients, you should opt for IaaS as it will help you eliminate all your on-premise infrastructure needs.